How electrical fires start

Never overload circuits or extension cords. Do not place cords and wires under rugs, over nails or in high traffic areas. Immediately shut off and unplug appliances that sputter, spark or emit an unusual smell. Have them professionally repaired or replaced. If an appliance smokes or has an unusual smell, unplug it immediately and have it repaired. Replace frayed or cracked electrical cords and don't overload extension cords. Never tamper with the fuse box or use the improper size fuse. Unplug appliances when not in use. Use safety caps to cover all unused outlets, especially if there are small children in the home.